Become a Mentor for a Young Parent
You can become a mentor and invest in the life of pregnant and/or parenting youth. Consider sharing your life experience by becoming a mentor. Mentoring is a rewarding, fulfilling experience that benefits both the mentor & the mentored youth. A mentor is someone who will be a positive influence while focusing on the youth's goals. If you are interested in being a mentor, contact the MMP office for an application or download a printable version below.
Prospective young parent volunteers must meet the following criteria:
- Must be 21 years of age or older.
- Must be willing to make a 12 month commitment to the program.
- Must be willing to meet with young parent at least 4 hours in person each month with 2 of the hours being one-to-one interaction, and meet 2 hours once a month for mentor/mentee group meeting.
- Must not have a substantiated child abuse & neglect charge unless charge was later found to be false.
- Must not be convicted of a felony (volunteer may only be considered after a two year final discharge from parole and probation and then demonstrate a pattern of emotional and behavioral stability). Any other criminal charges must not be of severe, violent nature. Severity of charge will be evaluated by Program Coordinator with consultation from staff.
- Must not be diagnosed with severe mental illnesses unless stabilized for one year. Mentor must not have been hospitalized for a mental illness within the past three years.
- History of drug and alcohol abuse will be assessed to determine mentor eligibility. Mentors must not use controlled substances or illicit drugs; they must not use alcohol in a routine and dependent manner; and they must not be in treatment for substance abuse (volunteer can only be considered after a non-addictive period of two years).
- If a previous youth participant of MMP, you must have completed the program and you cannot apply before two years of program completion.
Become a Corporate Business Partner
Businesses are a vital part to the Missouri Mentoring Partnership cause. Without the support of businesses, MMP could not provide Worksite mentees with the opportunity of success and the opportunity to become a beneficial taxpayer. To get involved, contact MMP at 417-836-3134 or email to KristinaWilmoth@missouristate.edu.
How Corporate Partners Can Be Involved:
- Obtain a job-ready, motivated pool of qualified applicants
- Offer MMP youth an interview with entry-level possibilities based on potential
- Provide MMP youth an opportunity to be employed with your business
- Reduce turnover of entry-level employees and cut training costs
- Influence Job Readiness curriculum development to meet business/industry standards
- Provide a rewarding experience for employees to become mentors
- Match the youth to a worksite mentor with the assistance and training of the coordinator
- Provide speakers for the youth's Job Readiness classes or Down Time groups
- Serve on the Missouri Mentoring Partnership Advisory Board
- Provide services or donations
Provide Gift Donations
If you are not able to be a mentor or a Business Partner, you may consider providing donations. The following list includes some of our program needs:
Worksite Program Needs:
- Providing a snack, beverage, and/or gift card door prize for the quarterly Down Time group.
- Gathering donations for the annual recognition event. We thank our youth, volunteer mentors, Corporate Partners, and referral agencies by providing a recognition event each spring. We are in need of door prizes to give away at this event, as well as food donations so that we will be able to provide a dinner or snack.
- Gathering donations for Job Readiness gifts. All youth successfully completing Job Readiness classes receives a gift containing items that help them be successful on the job search.
Ideas for gift bags:
- Certificate frames
- Black ink pens
- Breath mints
- Toothpaste and brushes
- Hand lotion
- Manicure sets
- Gift Certificates for youth to buy clothing for an interview or a work uniform
Young Parent Program Needs
- Providing a snack, beverage, and/or door prize for our monthly Young Parent Group. The snacks & door prize increase participation & education!
- Gathering donations for the Baby Store. We have a Baby Store every June and December, for which we are always collecting items.
Items in need are listed below:
- Diapers & wipes
- Bottles & brushes
- Safety items (thermometer, outlet covers, etc.)
- Books & toys
- Clothes (sizes Newborn-Toddler)
- Receiving blankets
- Kids' toothbrushes & paste
- Child bathtubs
- Baby swings & strollers
- Baby teethers & Oragel
- Sippee cups & toddler dishes
- Baby shampoo, lotion, powder
- Baby socks (sizes NB-Toddler).
- Baby gates
- Baby bedding
- Potty chairs
- car seats and booster seats
- Maternity clothes
- All other items related to parenting!
Provide Monetary Donations
Monetary donations are always appreciated and welcomed. The money will be used through the Missouri State University Foundation to better serve and accommodate program activities for the youth of Greene County, Missouri.